Re: Fun with Argon

Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

In a pure argon atmosphere the arcs will travel at least 5x their normal length and appear much, much hotter than 'normal'. Also, they may approach 8x their normal (atmospheric gases) length. I've around 4 or 5 years of experience in this area (see the bi-polar coil page on my web).

Here's an idea for some potentially great photos, fill large balloons with argon, attach them above the coil and while it's running, with cameras at the ready, puncture the balloons (many ways to do this), argon is heavier than our atmosphere and it will drift down into the discharge area, you could also spray that area directly with a bottle of argon, don't worry, nothing will blow, and the arcs going into the hose up into the bottle is of no consequence..........Send me copies. I'll be doing this experiment fairly soon. The only problem is that our atmosphere is around 78% nitrogen, which inhibits arcing (which is why I use it to blast spark gaps on some of my designs), so a fairly large quantity of argon needs to be discharged into the arcing area. But who knows? That's the fun of an experiment.

And from what little that I know, you do directly smell the ozone (which is damaging to the lungs, and Tesla wanted to open "Ozone Parlours", go figure). There are other breakdown products but that 'sweet' smell is you nose directly identifying ozone.

Cheers,

John F. Cooper
Irvine, CA
www.Tesla-Coil.com