Re: The 1500t secondary myth (long)

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 12/4/04 11:17:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Want an efficient, amazing coil? Here's the secret in one sentence: follow
Richard's lead - outrageous top loads, very high voltage potential
transformers, small capacitors, and most importantly, very good 8 point
series rotary gaps.

Thank you, Bert!
But could you quantify each of these conditions?
What constitutes an "outrageous" top load? In his widely-posted article, Hull wrote: "We further found that the moderate sized toroids then used could be increased by one full order of magnitude and the result would be a fantastic increase in the amount of energy handling capacity of a relatively small system!" This is something I'm leaning towards myself, after a modest amount of experimentation.
How high is "very high" potential for a charging transformer? Hull wrote, "Only one rule applies here. The voltage must be as high as possible!!!" Of course, I mentioned that maybe we should be focusing SGTC efforts on how to charge the primary caps to higher voltages. What kind of relationship exists between primary voltages and streamer length, all other factors equal?
How small are "small" caps? Again, Hull said: "When we hear of a builder that uses more than 0.1 uF of capacitance, we wonder about the builder. Our 10Kw Nemesis used only 0.09 uF of capacitance and produced straight line, point to point arcs of 14-15 feet." Yet we have folks on this list right now advocating caps at least 0.1 uF to produce these kind of sparks.
And what makes a "very good" rotary? Hull wrote :"We have designed a special series arc rotary quench gap that can actually quench faster than required (also a bad condition)." If this is of the utmost importance, how exactly was this done? The only picture I've seen of a TCBOR rotary was a good-sized "propeller" gap. And how does one tune a rotary for precisely the correct amount of quench?
I'm just deathly curious about how the TCBOR made magnifiers with such small resonators (which represent a huge cost and space savings) that produced arc lengths of up to 7 times their height. I don't know about everybody else, but I'd rather build a giant toroid than wind a giant secondary (bringing this post back on topic :) ). I'd also rather build a MMC of much smaller value but slightly higher voltage rating. BTW, I read that Gary Lau has gotten best results yet by going to a much smaller cap.
So what do(did?) all the current design programs have to predict about the performance of the TCBOR coils such as Nemesis and their last magnifier?

-Phil LaBudde
(am I asking too many questions? :) )