Re: Fun with Argon

Gary,

I too, have persoanl experience with ozone generated from Tesla coils
(I know that's spark generated ozone) but please, let me continue. The
ozone that's generated by the smaller NST powered coils that I have
built gave me the biggest problems. The
high powered 8 to 10 foot arcs from a pig powered Tesla coil con-
sisted more of power arcs to nearby grounded objects since the entire
coil assembly was only about 70" tall and these ozone levels never
really got that bad inside of a small garage albeit huge bright sparks
were attacking just about everything inside that little 12x20 shed. How-
ever, when I would operate a 15/60 NST coil insde that same shed, many
of the streamers would just reach out and terminate into the air and there
weren't near as many grounded strikes. In this situation, the ozone
levels quickly reached noxious proportions with a sharp, stinging
odor that would render me with coughing , headaches and asthma-
like symptoms (and I don't have asthma). It would take 20 to 30 minutes
of fresh air to alleviate these symptoms. This has happened to me on
more than one occasion, too but I never got sick from the sparks
of the large pig-powered coil. There wasn't really that much detectable
odor during operation, either. So, from my personal experience, your
reasoning seems in error. This has been discussed in detail numerous
times on this list and as a porfessional firefighter for 16+ years, I do
have some basic hazardous materials training and I "do" respect the
opinion of experts when they tell me that O3 exposure is dangerous-
ly toxic in concentrations of <1 ppm. I know from personal experience
that this stuff can indeed hurt you ;^(

Also, I do have my concerns with these ozone generating machines
that are available to consumers that are mainly ignorant to the dan-
gers and toxicity of O3. Although the concentrations are obvious-
ly below the short-term toxic limit, I do wonder about the possible
long term health risk of this. It may be like cigarette smoking - the
smoke of one cigarette in the lungs never killed anybody, but 2
packs (40 cigarettes) a day  for 30 years will usually result in
lung cancer and/or emphysema. Maybe we coilers that are sparking
2 hours a day should also consider the possible long-term health
effects of O3 as well :^O

David Rieben