Electrolytic Caps for AC use

Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich@xxxxxxxxx>

I have heard there is a way to adapt "DC" electrolytic
caps for use in AC by wiring a combination in a
certain way, any truth to this? I need large banks of
these in the 500 uf range, but conventional caps would
be way too expensive.. I also heard they can explode
if improperly connected to AC, anyone have experience
there? Will they gradually loose capacity rating over
time, since they are constructed like batteries, and
do they have a limited shelf life? Mine are about 10
years old.
HDN