RE: Battery powered tesla!

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>I'm not sure what the problem is with the new electronic NST's, but I too
>have heard that they are very easily killed by TC use. (I've never tried)

They just aren't designed for driving CW stacks and Tesla coils :( I
dismantled one to see how it worked, and it was a very simple self-resonant
circuit with a halfbridge. I imagine that "funny" loads could cause it to
stop resonating, or resonate at a crazy frequency, or something.

I saved the ferrite transformer from my electronic NST and it works great
with a home-made inverter driven by an oscillator. I replaced the ~100 turn
primary with a 10 turn one and ran my inverter off 30V dc for safety. With
30V @ 6A going in I have got about 2" flaming arcs from it. The arc is nice
to watch, it's like a candle flame and totally silent because of the
filtered DC supply.

http://forum.4hv.org/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=2139

I'm not sure how well it would drive a DC supply though, as the secondary
has a lot of leakage inductance and self-capacitance. I found that it self
resonated at 25kHz. In a darkened room I could see the whole plastic casing
light up blue when I hit the resonance.

Steve C.