Re: DRSSTC Primary Circuit Feedback Control

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> "Drive at one of the resonances" is what Steve Ward does and "drive exactly
> between the resonances" is what Jimmy H. designed his system to do. (So I
> assume he used "proper dimensioning") But when Jimmy tuned the system
> empirically for maximum spark length he found that he was running at one of
> the resonances. So I concluded that there is no real advantage to running
> between the resonances, even if it is theoretically "optimal", and I
> abandoned this line of inquiry. Unless someone can persuade me to reopen it
> ;)

What the math says is that if you design a system to operate with the
drive
frequency between the resonances, even with optimum design (that can be
obtained by calculation or by experimenting), and then drives it at one
of the resonances, you really get higher output. But at the expense of
higher input current and energy trapped in the primary circuit. The
system
can always be redesigned for that maximum input current, again with
drive
between the resonances, and the design will produce higher output
voltage,
less (no) trapped energy, and faster ringup.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz