Re: New to this...

Original poster: Tyler Pauly <rpggod714@xxxxxxxxx>

It is an NST, 9000V and 30mA. Other info (in case you
need it) is cap = 13.5 nF 22kV MMC, haven't made my
primary, but I plan for it to be 12 turns of .25 OD
copper tubing in a flat(?) coil. If you need anything
else, just say so.
                       Thanks a lot,

                          Tyler

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tell us what size power transformer you plan to use and we will give you some design info. I suspect it's a neon sign transformer (NST) but not sure.

In most cases you don't even calculate the 1/4
wavelength anymore.  You
determine sec coilform size (dia.) and then use a
4.5:1 height to dia.
ratio.  This will give you the correct winding length
for your wire.
With
small xmfrs, 28 AWG wire works great.  You then divide
the winding
length by
1,400 turns (good amount to use on most coils) to
determine wire dia.
From
a wire chart you find this wire dia. and then read off
the wire AWG
size.

A topload of 2-3 times the dia. of the sec coil works
good.  You can
use a
toroid or a Van de Graaff sphere depending on your
wallet.

First coils are always a lot of fun.  The guys on this
list call it
"first
light".

Dr. Resonance