Re: Water HV probe: first pictures

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

If I remember correctly your using pure water.

So you may have several problems caused by its high resistivity.

1 Its self C must be charged vie its high resistance. For the same reason
its sensitive to capacitance to the top load and ground

2 The high output impedance must charge the cable scope input C.  This may
be the major bandwidth limitation.
You could 50ohm terminate the cable at both ends so it only looks resistive
but then it will not be self compensated.

Obviously you could just lower the resistance by adding copper sulfate until
the distrusted resistance/distributed C and the resistance/cable C time
constant are higher  but I assume the loading on the coil would then be
significant.

The only other way I can imagine you can do it is by putting a high input
impedance unity gain amp at the output but you will still have the self C
charging problem.
Perhaps you can lower the resistance sufficiently to get the required
bandwidth and add the amp.
Perhaps you can shield the whole probe in an outer tube filled with water to
shield it from external C effects and it will reduce the effects of its self
C because the outer and inner are at the same voltage at each point but the
outer will still need to be sufficiently low impedance that its voltage is
primary determined by its resistance not its self C or C to the top load.

Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 10:27 AM Subject: RE: Water HV probe: first pictures