Re: ballast

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

You can use two 10 kVA Supercil grade C cores strapped together with
stainless steel strapping (don't use steel or iron).  Cross section needs to
be approx 3 1/2 x  4 inches depending on the power level you intend to
operate.  These cores are gapped with plastic or Nomex on both sides at .080
inches.  Total inductance required is around 140 mHy if you are running a
variac for voltage control.  This requires approx 120-130 turns of 8 to 10
AWG wound on an insulating box around the core.  Don't use 12 AWG as it will
overheat because the core is bumping up against saturation on it's current
peaks.  Also a good idea to a small 100 CFM cooling fan across the reactor
windings.  Space wind the windings with some 1/4 x 1/4 inch phenolic sticks
to provide good air circulation.

We run this type of reactor at 7-12 kVA levels with our pole xmfrs.

Dr. Resonance