Re: Inductance Charged Coil

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Ted,

On 4 Feb 2004, at 8:17, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: tesla <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>
 >
 > Team
 > Does anybody know if a disruptive coil has ever been successfully made
 > in which the primary inductor is charged first (lots of I liitle V) to
 > store 0.5LI^2 joules. Charging stopped and the collapsing field then
 > produces high volts and off you go.
 >
 > Not sure why such a design might be made but I imagine in priniple it
 > is the mirror of charging the C into the L Tnx Ted L in NZ

Older car ignition systems work exactly this way of course ;)  The
problem for even a medium power TC is building a power supply capable
of an output current in the 100's of Amps range, short term though
the duty cycle may be. Best accomplished with a capacitor.

Malcolm