Re: tesla virgin no more ! but need help

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Are you using 942C or 940C series capacitors?  The 940C's are generally not
good for tesla coiling since they are a film construction with a
polypropylene AND polyester dielectric (which isn't apparent except in
their PDF datasheet).  Polyester is a poor dielectric at RF, and film caps
cannot handle the peak currents.  However I have heard of people, but
cannot recall any specifics, who have used the 940Cs without problems....

But, I think this point is secondary to the fact that you need more like
.008uF of primary cap for your 15/30.  Put both MMC strings in series for
.006uF and tune for best sparks.

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group