RE: Capacitor - series?

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

I am no guru but I don't think they would see 5KV each.
The example used was:
1 nf 10 kV cap and a 10 nF 1 kV cap.
If we assume a voltage of 10KV and a frequency of 60HZ we can:
1. Calculate the reactances of the caps at 60HZ:
	1 nF = 2,652,582 Ohms
	10 nF = 265,258 Ohms

2. Add these two resistances in series
	2,652,582 + 265,258 = 2,917,840 Ohms

3. Use ohms law to calculate the current flowing through the series
circuit.
	10KV / 2,917,840 Ohms = 3.4mA

4. Apply ohms law to each cap to see the voltage across it.
	1 nF = 2,652,582 Ohms
	2,652,582 Ohms * 3.4mA = 9KV
	10 nF = 265,258 Ohms
	265,258 Ohms * 3.4mA = 900V

The 1 nF will see 9KV and was rated at 10kv it should be ok without
taking over rating into account.

The 10 nF will see 900V and was rated at 1KV so it should be ok as well.

The two caps will not see 5KV each.  They will see the voltages above.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to correct me if im off.

Luke Galyan
Bluu-at-cox-dot-net