Re: Safety Gap

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Luke,

Actually, Javatc gives you the answer to the pipe gap question. Click on
the "help" next to the inputs (the text is in BOLD font). Multi-segment
pipe gaps are another one of those areas where the arc voltage is probably
going to fall off. If only two pipes, then it will be a better
approximation, but as the number of pipes increase, so does the deviation.
The reason is simply the greater number of variables. Even if someone here
performed a multi-segment pipe gap breakdown test (as Dr. R did with the
flat electrodes), the next person who built a similar gap may have
completely different breakdown voltages. The pipe diameter, the pipe ends
(sharp, rounded, etc), how truly parallel the gaps are, the number of
pipes, etc.. etc.. Just a lot of variables. Even with the simply 2
electrode static gap, there will be some deviation (temp, barometric
pressure, etc., minute surface features, ROC, all those little subtleties
add up).

There just haven't been enough real breakdown testing passed to the list.
This is for all types of commonly used spark gaps. It's fine to theorize,
but in my mind, only real breakdown test with the commonly used spark gaps
can allow us to closely approximate the breakdown voltages (and we are in
need of that information). I plan to do my own testing this year and
purchased a transformer for this purpose. Javatc isn't going to help much
with multisegment static gaps or with needle gaps.

On your second questions, the two small point electrodes would work as a
safety gap as long as the distance exceeded the main gaps breakdown.
However, should the safety gap fire, the small ends may heat up
substantially from the lack of material. The heat would cause lower
breakdown and you may end up with the safety gap taking over (and probably
burning up if it does).

I have used horn gaps in the past that worked fine, but the wire size was
like #6 solid copper.

Take care,
Bart