Re: Single-bushing 14.7kV pigs. Thoughts?

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 04:02 PM 08/02/04 -0700, you wrote:
 >Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes-at-silicon-arcana-dot-com>
 >
 >Thanks for the encouraging words, Weazle!  So, if I rig up some
 >protective filtering on the output, it'll end up looking like
 >half of what I did for my NST, yes?  For example, I would only
 >choke the single hot lead, only have one side of the typical
 >three-legged saftey gap, etc.
 >
 >73, Aaron, N7OE

Hi again Aaron,

I don't use a choke...that's a subject of much debate on the
list, and the general consensus is that they can create more
problems than they cure.  If you look closely at the shot of
the PDT on my website you'll see a horn gap sitting atop the
transformer.  That is all the protection I use, and it works
just fine, firing only very occasionally when the coil is a
bit out of tune due to environmental changes.  The leads to
the gap are short and direct and the gap itself is made up
of scrap 1/4 inch tubing left over from my primary.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle