Re: Safety Gap

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Finn,
          I would like to add a rider:

On 9 Feb 2004, at 8:02, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>
 >

 > Tesla list wrote:
 > >Original poster: "Gary  Weaver" <gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 > >Forget the safety gaps.  I tried them and decided they are a waste of
 > >time and effort.  I have not used a safety gap on any of my coils in
 > >probably 4 years.  http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~gary350/tc10-4.jpg Gary
 > >Weaver
 >

 > I agree with Gary, as long as we are talking about a static gapped
 > coil. (Static gaps don`t "misfire" towards greater voltage, but to the
 > opposite)
 >
 > But with a sync. rotary gap, I`d use it at least untill the rotary is
 > adjusted, if the adjustment is fixed. With dynamic adjustment, I`d use
 > a safety gap all the time.
 >
 > Cheers, Finn Hammer

Experience shows me that the chokes are a bad idea if no safety gap
is present (very much a case of live and learn for me - or to be more
accurate, transformer death and learn). Any impedance between the
main gap and the transformer terminals will allow parasitic tuned
circuits to form which can ring to extremely high voltages with
little inhibition. The *only* condition I regard as totally safe to
do without a safety gap is where the leadlength between the main gap
and the transformer terminals is a foot or so. Sticking choke/s in
will wipe this advantage out straight away since the chokes will
isolate the main gap from the transformer, no longer allowing it  to
double as a safety gap.

Malcolm