RE: Static Gap question.

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Brett,

Yes, I use rare neodymium magnets for my spark gaps.  You could use any
strong magnet.  Tesla used a strong electromagnet for his.

For the terminals, I use tungsten welding rod and grind the ends flat each
day I fire up the coil.  The spark gap works great for me.  The spark gap is
also very easy to construct.  The magnets hold themselves in place.  I
position the gap of the tungsten rod right in between the powerful magnets.
It's easy to adjust the strength of the magnetic field by adding or
subtracting magnets and/or adjusting the distance between the magnets.

I mentioned the tungsten balls on McMaster Carr because they are both cheap,
and I believe are a better shape for the spark gap.  Now that I have a new
HP 34970A coming in, I'll see if I can test the spark gap somehow.  (But I
can assure you it won't be my first test.  I'm not going to get anywhere
near high voltage until I feel comfortable with sensor safety.)

Dave