Crushing ferrite cores to make one big one?

Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-hydrogen18-dot-com>

I've been on the prowl for cheap transformer cores recently and something
just occured to me. I have TONs of ferrite cores, and they are amazingly
cheap to obtain in large weight. what If I just took and ground them up,
then say filled a 3 inch PVC pipe with them? I could use this as a core for
a fairly large 60 Hz transformer couldnt I? Any thoughts on this somewhat
crazy idea?