RE: Series connection of Mosfets/IGBTs

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Perhaps I can throw a bit of light on this:

On 18 Feb 2004, at 8:06, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>
 >
 >  >Series tuned primary, what is that?
 >  >Is it what Marco uses in his SWmode supply? (Series cap resonating
 >  with >leakage inductance) >Does it make the secondary system
 >  invisible to the primary? >If it is good, how do we make it?
 >
 > First of all this is a SSTC thing. Classic coils already have a tuned
 > primary :)
 >
 > Just take a normal SSTC, loosen the coupling a bit, and connect a
 > capacitor in series with the primary, of a value that will resonate
 > with the primary inductance. The capacitor has to be a kind that will
 > stand a high RF current, either a "MMC" of pulse caps in parallel, or
 > a ceramic transmitting type cap.
 >
 > Now stand well back and throw the switch. The series tuned primary
 > seems to boost performance quite drastically, but increases the chance
 > of blowing up your transistors.

What is happening is that the primary is no longer an inductance but
a resistance of very low value at resonance. This allows you to get
more current in. It also allows a high circulating current to build
up.

Malcolm