RE: Gap Question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Don't believe everything you read on the web, or this List.  Opinions on
everything vary, and it's up to the reader to choose who they believe.
I would agree with your logic; I don't think you're missing anything.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

It has been said that a gap using parallel pipes will be like having
smaller gaps in parallel and will lower the gaps resistance / loses.

This does not make sense to me.  Maybe someone can enlighten me.

If what is meant is, lower resistance before the gap breaks down then it

would be similar to decreasing the spacing.  This would be like reducing

the spacing of the gap.  That would reduce breakdown voltage and be
undesirable.

If what is meant is, lower resistance while the gap is arcing that
doesn't
make sense.  The gap only arcs at one place at any one time.  So how
would
that gap have less resistance if the arc area or distance has not
changed.

Can any one show me what I am missing?

Luke Galyan
<mailto:Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>Bluu-at-cox-dot-net
http://members.cox-dot-net/bluu