Re: Safety gap taking over

Hi Jeremy,

If you are using a variac, you could set the safety gap to just fire at
140VAC.  On my coil, I set the main gap so it draws most of the sparks and
the safety gap fires only occasionally,  Also my safety gap is located next
to and parallel to the main gap and benefits from the air flow from 2 100
CFM muffen fans that blows down onto the parallel string of CU pipes in the
main gap.  The fans are mounted on an acrylic cage  with three sides closed
so the air gets redirected and flows axially down the pipes and out the
fourth side.  This exit side air flow cools the safety gap that is also well
heat sinked.

The frequency of the safety gap firing does not seem to increase with time
nor does the streamer performance seem to decrease with time.

Gerry R.