Re: Newark ebay capacitor: primary tank capacitor?

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-hydrogen18-dot-com>
>http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2597989262&category=4662
>could that capacitor(in series obviously) handle the stresses of primary
>tank capacitor duties? Also, can some1 point me to reference so I can
>convert uf to nf, pf and uf, and so on? I know 10^-9 is nano and 10^-6 is
>micro but that doesnt mean much to a mid class geometry student.
>
>.

Dear (what's your name?),

These caps are Mylar. Because they are very lossy under RF use and the
package does not allow for "graceful" expansion, they tend to become oily
firecrackers when used in Tesla Coil tank circuits. They are usable only as
DC filter caps, in voltage doubler circuits, or in low pulse rate (non-RF)
applications.  :^(

1 uF = 1,000 nF = 1,000,000 pF
1 nF = 0.001 uF = 1,000 pF
1 pF = 0.001 nF = 0.000001 uF

These caps are 0.25 uF = 250 nF = 250,000 pF

Best regards,

-- Bert --