RE: Gap Question

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 24 Feb 2004, at 13:09, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
 >
 > So if the current goes up the gap widens.

The arc channel increases in diameter.

 > If the gap widens the resistance of the gap goes down.

If the arc channel increases in diameter, the resistance of the gap
goes down (assuming the arc length remains constant).

 > If the resistance went down when the current went up
 > That is resistance not negative resistance.

No. With a "normal" resistance, as current through the resistance
goes up, the voltage across it goes up and vice-versa. In the case of
an arc, the voltage is almost constant regardless of the current.
Hence, the resistance changes with current instead of the voltage.
Resistance in a spark gap is parametric variable.

      As Matt said, at any point plotted on a V/I curve of the gap,
you will find power is being dissipated. Hence at the chosen point,
one can derive a resistance value. The resistance value will be
different at different points along the curve.

Malcolm