RE: LED at 60 HZ? (was RE: Radio Shack Strobes)

Original poster: "explorecraft" <pariah-at-explorecraft-dot-com>

Anyone here tried wiring an LED straight off the mains with
  a capacitor <in series> chosen for its reactance at 50 or 60 hz?

I thought choosing a cap with a reactance to drop the
  current down to the 40 mA level would do the trick.
(I wanted to do something like that to drive my planned
  primary, a flourescent circular tube, matching the cap
  reactance at the resonance to limit tube current)

<My next fireworks show, perhaps>