From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 3:49 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Gap Question

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Tesla list wrote:
 >Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
 >So if the current goes up the gap widens.
 >If the gap widens the resistance of the gap goes down.
 >If the resistance went down when the current went up
 >That is resistance not negative resistance.

Luke,

I may read you wrong, but it looks to me like you overlook the fact that

the current is not determined by the value of the gap resistance, but by

the combination of cap voltage and size, and inductance of the primary
coil. The resistance in the gap is in the 1-5 ohm range, the surge
impedance of a primary is in the 100s of ohms.

Ipri = U*sqrt(Cpr/Lpri).

Cheers, Finn Hammer

snip