Re: Paschen paper online

Original poster: Jan Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  > Original poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  > http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/archives/paschen.htm
 >  >
 >  > For all of you courtesy of The Geek Group.

Nice translation. You could snip out the irrelevant beginning though, the
bit about adiabatic processes and pressure step propagation. I first
though "man is that a horrible translation" - until I then skipped down to
the actual dissertation of Paschen, which is overall done quite nicely.
Obviously has been very much work...

 > Nice. Thank you for the work. There are some strange phrases here and
 > there, but I know from experience what happens when one tries to
 > translate these old papers. If we set up a "reviewing" process the
 > translation will be perfect quickly.

Maybe just put it up as a wiki, so that everyone can edit the text or
add translation comments? I could have a go at reviewing too, being a
native german-finnish with hopefully not too dreadful english skills.

There are some nice free wiki places on the net that you could look at,
for example

http://www.seedwiki-dot-com/

 > Someone could start by figuring
 > out what is the unit used for voltages.

Up to anyones guess. Skimming through the original text didn't give any
infos, maybe it's given in Wiedemann, "Lehre der Electricität". Could be
the voltage induced in the electrometer? 1:100 ?

Oh, the translation contains some funny parts too. For example, Kugel
means globe or sphere, spherical electrode, and not ball. One noteworthy
sentence was: "I give the following composition of measurements of
different observers with a radius of the balls of 1cm." Yuck!! ;-))

Anyways. "Werthe"="Werte" means "values", not "worth". Yes, the old
germans had no clue about grammar... ;-) Generally you can replace "th"
with "t". Also, most "c" which aren't part of "ch,ck,sch" can be replaced
with "k" or "z". Some substantives/nouns end with an extra wanna-be lyric
"e" that can be ignored. All "tir" => "tier" (justirung => justierung).
By applying these rules of thumb you should be able to find most of the
'strange' words in any standard german-english dictionary.

Schutzringkondesator = capacitor with a protective metal ring around the
other (fixed) electrode; the ring reduces fringe effects. I don't have
any english HV engineering books at hand, but the ring cap should be a
standard component, "protective ring capacitor" or similar...

But to conclude, my main point was, how about putting the translation up
on the net as an editable wiki?

regards,
  - Jan

--
  Helsinki University of Technology
  Dept. of Electrical and Communications Engineering