RE: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better? -- MMC tends to be better for the amateur.

:-)))))))

A lot of the first MMCs went to replacing blown commercial caps!!!  People
were buying "hundreds" at a time!!  Not for that 9kv 30 coil, but for big
pig systems... I thought that big $1300 cap order would last us all forever
:o)))  There was a big pent up demand for something to replace those
&^$&^$^%&# commercial caps folks had just fried...  Indeed, I think the big
coils were the first ready to "take the leap" into that new technology "no
matter what"...   I think the first 1000 went to "four" orders...

It was kind of scarry!!  Gosh!, suppose they all crapped out!!  I "was"
ready to eat all costs and give people their money back...  But I guess it
worked ;-)))  I think I sent a few orders twice due to confusion.  I think
I sent one too few caps to Finn?  I sure was happy when the Geek Group took
that mess "away" from me :-)))

But the reported unexplained failures, in my case, is still zero...

I have not made many dents in this world, and I never forget that Reinhard
was there way first..., but I guess the MMC thing did earn me a tiny bit in
Tesla coiling history :-)

I wish to also mention Garry Freemyer for his help in testing.  If Garry
could not blow a Tesla coil cap up, nobody could ;-))  I remember waiting
to here back...  I kept checking the E-mail...  But I got the answer ;-))

http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/2000/October/msg00122.html

Hehehe,  I carefully crafted that one string MMC cause I wanted to shake
him up ;o)))

Garry also found (the hard way) the metalized vs. solid foil electrode issue!

Of course, our list owner Chip, blowing his commercial caps all over the
roof of his house on that fateful Halloween night....

Cheers,

         Terry