Re: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

Original poster: Kreso Bukvic <kreso.bukvic-at-kc.htnet.hr>

I have 5 coils until now ( ops four i sold a small one on e-bay)! The
biggest project of mine was a TC with 10 kV 100 mA nst ( original primary
voltage 220 V i used variac all the way to 260 so i guess there was more
voltage out ). I like tesal coils i use them all day ( dont worry Terry give
me a MMC and you will see it blew to the sky). This coil on resonant rise
produced 4 foot sparks, i had a Gregs filter on the nst. One day i was
little bit on the mad side and wanted to see what this baybe can do and i
stretched spark gap ( rq gap ) so wide it would barely fire wow it make 6 +
foot arcs so i leaved it that way! It worked for some time then i take a
step up i remowed filter from nst ( resistors eat up some power ) and i
squezed a centimeter or two more of spark. Pity, safety spark started firing
so i remowed it to and squezed a little bit more. Then the coil had a 10-15
LONG runs in 2 days :-). Two days after i turned it on and BOOOOOM my
Maxwell well you allready know what happened! The i made SW caps and result
was not so good so i used quick and dirty async gap that burned the nst :-).
But im lucky my mate works at a local power platn and he just brings me
pigs, PTs and thast for free ( aint he good ). But i discard them becausee i
keep only the ones that have a nice voltage and that. Now i got a epoxy
potted nst rated for 10 kVac and want to make same sucess coil again. I just
finished repaintin this PT, adding wheels , cables, ballastand and he is
ready to rock&roll. But im experiencing a big problem there are no caps in
Croatia so i must order internationaly. And i think using 3 - 4 kVac cap on
10 kV power supply is BS by my calculation i would need 300 geek group caps
( 150 nF 2 kvdc ) and that is equal to 900 $ + shipping!!! I learned my
lesson about stretching the gap and so on but i seriously think and know
that these caps if used by the chart will fail in a hurry. Il continue to
thinks so until i see it with my own eyes and that is impossible ( you are
all too distanced from me ).

This is my web site click the 1000 W tesla coil! But first click ulaz ( sory
only Croatian ) :-)
http://free-kc.htnet.hr/Kreso-Bukvic/

Best regards
Kreso Bukvic

PS. Terry i would like to see the mmc that is overrated and works :-). Nice
try.