Re: Gap Question

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
>Can anyone point me to a device that does not have a linear resistance
>but yet does not display a negative resistance?
>Is there such an animal?
>Thanx
>Luke Galyan
>Bluu-at-cox-dot-net
>http://members.cox-dot-net/bluu
<SNIP>

Luke,

They're everywhere - nature seems to favor nonlinear behavior. Because of
this, it can be very challenging to design a piece of equipment that's
truly linear over a wide operating range. Virtually every electrical
component you encounter is actually nonlinear to some degree. However, most
components normally do not exhibit any negative resistance characteristic
unless they become electrically overstressed in your TC and irreversibly
break down... :^)

All passive components are somewhat nonlinear. Cored inductors saturate,
and many types of resistors and capacitors will change value as a function
of applied voltage. ALL semiconductors, vacuum tubes, and cold cathode (gas
tube) devices are also inherently nonlinear, particularly as you approach
zero volts, approach voltage or current limits, or reverse polarity. Other
common components that show marked nonlinear characteristics include surge
suppressing MOV's, incandescent lamps. Neon lamps, fluorescent lights, or
flash lamps display nonlinear negative resistance characteristics in some
operating regions, and nonlinear positive characteristics in others.

Best regards,

-- Bert --