Re: Gap Question

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>
<SNIP>
>>A conduction channel of hot ions is favoured. A glow
>>discharge in a rarified gas is another matter. Unlike a welder, the
>>gap goes out periodically which doesn't favour a plasma type
>>discharge like that you can draw from an arc welder although I
>>suppose one could argue that a plasma is present while the primary is
>>ringing and the gap is alight. For nature's best demonstration of
>>spark behaviour, lightning formation warrants some attention.

>Although there is a wealth of information regarding spark formation, many
>of theory's take the form of "pre-spark" processes or streamer processes.
>When looking for information regarding the above, I can't seem to scrounge
>up much.

Hi Bart,

Some good books that cover the properties of arcs include:

"Arc Physics" by Max Hoyaux, Springer-Verlag, 1968, 305pp

"Gaseous Electronics", Hirsh & Oskam, Academic Press, 1978, ISBN
0123497019, 506pp

"Fundamental Processes of Electrical Discharge in Gases", Loeb, John
Wiley & Sons, 1939, 717pp.

There are also quite a few very good on-line resources, with most relating
to arc welding, plasma torches, or electrical power systems. One well
written overview can be found as part of a High Voltage Technology course
at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden:
http://www.elkraft.chalmers.se/GU/EEK195/lectures/Lecture7.pdf

BTW, while you are on the this site, you may also want to check out a
couple of other lectures on Gas Discharges, surface discharges, breakdown
of liquids and solids, HV cabling, etc.) on this page:
http://www.elkraft.chalmers.se/GU/EEK195/

Happy reading..  :^)

-- Bert --