RE: control panel measurments

Hi Luke,

At 06:47 PM 2/27/2004, you wrote:
>Thanx
>I might have to get one of them and hook it up when the time comes.
>Judging form the numbers on the link you sent am I getting the picture
>right?

Yep!  They are dirt cheap for all the wonderful stuff they can do!  I have
blown one up but I was really torturing it.  I just keep a few extra around
now ;-)

>VA is the voltage X current and would be considered the apperrent power?
>Power would be the actual usable power taking the power factor into
>consideration?

If we have say 10 Arms and 120 Vrms and the angle between the two sine
waves is 30 degrees then:

The VA = 10 x 120 = 1200VA    VA neglects the power factor and is used to
properly size wires and voltage standoffs.

The real power is 10 x 120 x COS(30) = 1039 watts

The power factor is real watts / VA = 1039 / 1200 = COS(30) = 0.866

Here is a nice link:

http://www.microconsultants-dot-com/tips/pwrfact/pfarticl.htm

>And is there anything special you would recommend to help protect this
>thing if I play with it for TC use?

I would keep the meter away from the coil by about 4X the arc
distance.  The same as you would keep away digital cameras, calculators and
such.  Just the high fields around the coil may have killed it.  So keep it
far away down the AC line somewhere.

I was holding mine about 4 feet from the coil pushing the buttons wondering
why it was flaking out...

Cheers,

         Terry