Re: Bending of Ohm's Law was Re: Gap Question

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"    General rule of thumb is that the fixed resistance at room temp is
     1/10th  that at 'normal (operating) temperature.

     (Yes: this means a lightbulb of say 100W/1A/110v (I'M ROUNDING
8)>>)
     draws. momentarily, 10A when first switched on...)

     For experiments a 'microlight' type holiday bulb
     (or several) and an old style, moving coil VOM are
     instructive:  such a meter can deliver up to an amp or
     so, which lights the lamp, which increase the resistance.).

     Ohm's Law is a law, as derived FOR WIRES.
     It DOES NOT apply to 'all conductors'.
     8)>>

     best
      dwp"

	That high surge current at turn on is what causes bulbs to "pop" when
the light switch is thrown - the high surge current melts the filament
at the weakest point and the gas fill sometimes ionizes causing
continuing high currents for a moment.

	As a matter of historical interest, "Ohm's law" was determined
empirically by measurements of the "current vs voltage" properties for a
number of materials and showing the constant of proportionality.  As far
as I know Ohm's work was the first to really validate the linear
relationship.

Ed