Help! I killed my NST!

Original poster: "Jim Mitchell" <electrontube-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

I was unpotting my franceformer  15 30 hoping to remove the shunts and get
60ma out of it.  And in the process, I was hasty and tore the
primary!!!  When I inspected the dammage,  three windings had been sheared
off, and another few had their insulation scrapped off!!!

Now I have the whole thing dipped in acetone to dissolve the rest of the
asphalt.  When Its done soaking and all the tar is gone,  how should I
repair the primary?  I have *another* older model franceformer 15 30 which
was a heck of alot easier to unpot, but I tore one of the secondaries and
one was internally shorted.  The primary is fine on this core,  could I
just swap primaries with my other torn primary franceformer?

Also, about deshunting,  My transformer has 6 shunts, three on either side
of the primary.  How many should I remove?  Can I measure the current
output with an analog DC milliamp meter if I use a rectifier in series with
the meter?

Regards - Jim Mitchell