500 kV PT? was: RE: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Godfrey, Kreso,

Is the PT actually labelled as "500 kV"? I don't think 30 to 35
cm (appr. 12" to 14") would represent 500 kV. I would think more
along the lines of at least 1 meter or more for a self starting
arc at half-a-million volts. My 140 kV x-ray transformer will
easily "start" an arc at 11" (about 28 mm) with only about 75%
of the rated input voltage applied to the primary side of it.
I know that x-ray tannies do put out a bit more than their rated
output kVp rating with the HV secondary output open circuit and
that's why I won't run an x-ray tranny with the full rated primary
input and the HV secondary output open circuit. However, I don't
think my 140 kV x-ray transformer can get anywhere near 500 kV
before internally self destructing. BTW, I've personally never
heard of a PT with that much primary (secondary for us) voltage.
Has anyone else on this list??

David Rieben