SRSG Alignment

Original poster: "Ian McLean" <ianmm-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>

Hi Tesla Coilers,

I have started contruction of my SRSG and have determined that my motor is a
600W 1750rpm type with four 'dead' poles (where the run windings start/end
and the start windings cross).

So I have to grind four flats.  Gonna do it the hard way with an angle
grinder and metal file tommorrow.  Each flat, 90 degrees from each other, is
to line up with each 'dead' pole, and should be  three poles wide, with the
'dead' poles in the centre of each flat.  Any wider, and I am risking the
possibility that the motor might not develop enough torque, and will start
'hunting' under load, any less, and the motor may not lock into the mains
frequency.

So far so good (I think).  My question is to do with alignment after
contruction is complete.  Without going the fancy John Freau phase
adjustment approach, is it possible to work out the peak AC points by
looking at the position of the flats on the stator in relation to the run
windings and 'dead' poles ?

Rgs
Ian