Re: TESLA COIL REVISED

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/3/04 12:01:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >As to the brush-like discharge, that's what Tesla saw as THE difference
 >between his coil and other high voltage sources. So if you build a HV
 >coil that doesn't have such discharge, you've built a high voltage
 >coil, but it's not a TRUE Tesla coil.

Hi Jaro,
     Tesla built many kinds of coils using the best materials available in
his time. His aims were to develop coils for practical application and
scientific research, not merely carnival sideshow attractions, although he
did make use of the spectacular to generate interest and income.
     Most (but definitely not all) of the people on this list approach TCs
from the empirical engineering and science viewpoint: e.g.,a coil design is
tested many times and found to be either more or less effective than a
previous design etc. The concept of TRUE Tesla Coils and FALSE Tesla Coils
sounds more aligned with the California Religious Cult of "Teslaism".
     Experimental results are considered by most here as superior to the
scholastic approach. The chief concern of scholasticism is not to discover
new facts but rather to integrate the knowledge already acquired by ancient
authorities. Appeal is not to reason or experiment, but to the commentaries
of "esteemed authorities." (Aristotle, Jesus, Confucius, Tesla, Edison, et.al.)
     As a result of this difference, "I have done...and these are my
results" carries much more weight than "I will do..." or "I am thinking
about doing..." or "The Master said..." in making the transition from
omniscient newbie to groping veteran.

May your explorations be long and fruitful,

Matt D.

"How can I pour tea into your cup when it is already full?" Anon. Zen Master