Re: Coiling problems

Primary coil is usually constructed from 1/4 inch refrigeration tubing.  Be
sure to use a "scrap wire" primary first, usually 20 to 26 turns, to
determine you optimum tuning point before building the copper tubing
primary.

Be sure to use a protection circuit between your NST and the primary spark
gap or you will blow your transformer.  Terry Fritz from this list can
provide you with an excellent protection circuit for your NST.

Be sure to sand and seal the PVC tubing with 3 coats of insulation before
winding.  You can use Glytal (electric motor rewind shop) or polyethylene to
seal the tube from moisture absorption.

You have to have capacitors in the circuit or it will not oscillate.  The 60
cycle current will not oscillate at a high enough frequency to drive your
air core resonance transformer.  Most of these NST powered transformers need
to oscillate in the 250 to 300 KHZ range.

A capacitor, spark gap, and primary coil are necessary to form the
oscillator circuit.  I would suggest a .02 MFD or .03 MFD, 30,000 Volt
capacitor.  It depends on the current rating of your NST(neon sign
transformer).

Best of luck with your coil project,

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation