RE: Corona Dope Re: HAPTZ wire splicing question

Original poster: "Daniel Kline" <daniel_kline-at-med.unc.edu>

I seem to remember that someone on the list a few years ago said that
he had made his own "corona dope" by dissolving styrofoam cup pieces in
acetone.

Hmmm...why don't I just search the archives, right?

Here's something...:)

----

At 11:29 AM 01/03/00 -0700, you wrote:
 >Original Poster: "William Parn" <parn-at-fgm-dot-com>
 >

 >Greetings All,
 >
 >I just noticed www.mouser-dot-com has a product called 'Final-L-Kote AR'.
 >It states, 'provides insulation against high voltage arcing
 >and corona shorts'.
 >
 >Has anybody tried this stuff?
 >
 >Is it worthwhile?
 >
 >Are there other similar products?
 >
 >Is it a good idea to spray the back side of a MMC board
 >with this stuff?
 >
 >How about the top windings of a secondary?
 >

 >Many Thanks,
 >Bill Parn

Hello Bill & Coilers:

I've used "homemade" corona dope for years on my H.F. mobile antenna
up pieces of a styrofoam coffee cup and disolve them in the acetone.
You'll end up with a clear goo that has a viscosity dependant on how
much styrofoam you put in.  It air dries in about ten minutes and it
has excellent high voltage properties.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

----

I suppose the only things to watch out for would be to see if the acetone
affects your magnet-wire coating, and to make sure your area is well
ventilated
with no chance for sparks since acetone is highly flammable.

Hope this helps,
Dan K.