Re: 5MV, 15/120mA Tesla Coil

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 07:50 AM 1/6/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com
> > Bart -
> >
> > I believe you have my TC Construction Guide. Look on page 14-12 for a
> > description of the 5MV coil and on page 5-5 for a short description of the
> > operation.
> >
> > This TC was immerged in a large tank of oil which made high voltages
> > possible. It produced 1700 KW with an input of 3 KW a gain of over 500
>with
> > an energy transfer efficiency from primary to secondary circuits of about
> > 25%.
> >
> > John Couture
>
>Wow.  That is impressive.  1700kW output power with only 3kW input power.
>Who says there is no such thing as free energy!
>
>Dan

That would be peak output power vs average input power. While moderately
impressive at an  implied duty factor of about 1/600, I think that the run
of the mill quarter shrinker is probably more impressive (because the rep
rate is lower)...

60 seconds to charge a 10 kJ bank is only 170W.  Discharge current could be
on the order of 20 kA at 20kV, for 400 MW peak power.

As a practical matter, many, many radars run at 0.1% duty cycles and
probably have a 500:1 peak RF power to average input power ratio, at
kilowatt kinds of average power levels.

No free energy anywhere..