Re: Please Advise

Original poster: "Emmett Secrest" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>

Bart...thanks for the info. Forgive me for asking for an explanation but I
am not sure I understand what you stated about the spark gap setting.

"Probably Dan, I don't remember discussing gap distance. Have you checked
the NST with the sparkgap out of the circuit? This will identify the NST's
maximum output voltage for arcing across a given distance. Just be sure to
do the adjusting with the NST unplugged. Decrease the gap until you find
the arc distance which is steady. Then lock the distance in place and put
the system back together."

If I understood you I should find a spark gap setting where the NST fires
continuously across the gaps and lock it in at that setting( that is
without the cap bank or primary connected). I had previously set the safety
gap at where it just didn.t fire with the NST powered up.

I think that rather than lower my secondary so much and thereby decrease
the distance  between the toroid and the strike rail I will cut my primary
and add more turns to obtain the 1" clearance you are running.. I have felt
I should do this but had been avoiding the task. Thanks for the prod I needed.

Emmett