Re: 5MV, 15/120mA Tesla Coil -> Power vs. Energy

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

No violation in conservation of energy. You're still
mixing power and energy terms.

James Watt was known for his contributions to
the steam engine, not electricity. A Watt is a measure
of power, plain and simple. While it is equal to 1
Joule per second, and is mostly used for electricity,
it doesn't imply that it is measured "over one
period", or is even limited to electricity. You keep
mixing power (kW) with energy (kW over one time
period).

John never stated kWhrs out was greater than kWhrs in.
He simply stated kW in < kW out, which people do all
the time. This is true for a wrecking ball on a crane,
a spring which is wound up slowly but unleashed
rapidly, many pneumatic machines, coin shrinkers, even
your beautiful
Marx bank.

We're in agreement in fact, but not in
symantics. I knew you were aware of this, but I hate
to further confuse newbies who hear that you can't get
something for nothing, but later hear from a reputable
source that power out can exceed power out. By
pointing out the HUGE difference between power and
energy, I hoped to send them to a dictionary.

Adam

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Adam,

Power and energy aren't the same, but typically when
power is stated in
KW,
rms power is usually implied which is calculated over
a single period.
To say 3KW input power over one period yields 1700kW
output over the
same
period is a violation of the conservation of energy.

Usually, the correct way of saying this is that 3kW
input power can
produce
PEAK power levels of 1700kW.

Dan

  > Dan,
  >
  > I assume you're just joking, and realize that Power
  > and Energy aren't the same. You mix the two as if
they