RE: filling toroids

Original poster: "Ian McLean" <ianmm-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>

I have used polyester resin before (LSE - Liquid Styrene Epoxy, used for
fibreglassing).  Whilst it works quite well and dries rock hard (I used it
to pot the ceramic capacitors in my NST filter), it does get quite hot
during curing, and also shrinks in the process.

I worry that the polyester would melt an inner tube during curing, and also
shrink out of shape.

Another alternative I just thought of would be an encapsulant.  Something
like isophorone diamine (used to pot MKT capacitors, etc.)  This stuff does
not heat up during curing and does not shrink.  It moulds perfectly (it is
designed to).  Trouble is, it is very expensive.

Also, a toroid made of solid epoxy, of any sort, would be very heavy, yes ?

Rgs
Ian.