RE: 5MV, 15/120mA Tesla Coil -> Power vs. Energy

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Dave -

I think you could use power compression but not energy compression. The
energy is normally the fixed parameter and compressing it brings up the
question of where does the compressing energy come from? However with the
power compression the compression energy would already be included by
starting with it in the fixed energy parameter.

Using power compression would be a problem in explaining the compression of
1700KW to 3KW in an equation.

          Energy = Power x time
    Power x time = Power x time
  3KW x 1 second = 1700KW x (1/566) seconds

In the above equation the 3KW of power is magnified (increased) by 566 times
to 1700KW of power. The difference in timing is what determines the
magnification. But what about a decrease in KW?

And also in the above equation how is the power compressed and by what?

With reference to your "continuous" and "peak" the 3KW of power would be
considered continuous for at least 1 second. Note in the above equation that
with the 1700KW the word "peak" was not used and I do not believe was
necessary to make the equation more understandable.

I think Antonio was uncomfortable with my using RMS power and he may be
right because RMS may be a superfluous word. Now that I think about it this
may be using RMS incorrectly. Am I confusing things?

John Couture