Re[2]: kVA Effects on Discovery Channel

Original poster: Mike Poulton <mpoulton-at-mtptech-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > I vehemently disagree with this statement.  Again, you are assuming a
 > child is intelligent enough to
 > understand the difference between volts, current, etc...

In second grade grade, I did.  However, the key point here is that
they do not need to understand the differences, they just need to know
a differnce exists.  Those with some small amount of knowledge need not
to be confused by incorrect usage.  Take, for example, a person with
some rudimentary knowledge of how circuits work (a significant
percentage of the general population).  When such a person sees these
terms misused by a supposedly authoritative source, it engenders
confusion unnecessarily.  I'm not asking them to spend any more time
on technical descriptions of how these things work -- I only ask that
the statements they do make be correct.

 > I have done a number of demonstrations with high voltage equipment to
 > children from age 10 up to high school
 > level.  My demonstrations are always a huge hit among the students and
 > believe me, they don't have to know all the gritty details about how
 > they work to be inspired.

I have done the same, and it is undoubtedly very educational and
useful regardless of the level of understanding by the audience.
However, making erroneous statements to a group of people who are
listening intently and trying to learn only causes confusion and
misunderstanding.

Mike Poulton
MTP Technologies
mpoulton-at-mtptech-dot-com
KC0LLX (70cm AM ATV, 33cm/12cm FM ATV, Omaha, NE)