RE: kVA Effects on Discovery Channel

Original poster: "BrianB" <brianb-at-antelecom-dot-net>

Harold/Mike/all,

Yes, I was there. I was responsible for the kVA gag working and for
safety...

As you suspect, there was a very small squib in the base of the phone.
Their thought was to make it smoke the way the victim reported (the
producers were actually trying to accurately reproduce that strike).

The damage to the wall, phone jack, the fire in the handset, the burning
wires, and the scorched dummy's hand was real (i.e. caused by the Tesla
Coil). The dummy's shoulder also caught fire but I ran in to put it out
when the producer yelled "Fire on the Set" (not something you ignore
when you are responsible for safety). The host then ran in and used the
big bottle of CO2 to finish extinguishing the embers (which is what you
saw on TV).

All in all the people involved in this show were a good bunch of folks
and fun to work with (most were TV production people and only a couple
had any science background).

It's important to note that they are working within very tight budgets
and short timelines and at the end of the day they have an
"Entertainment" product to turn out. Most of what they re-produce or
test is done in a day or two when to do it in a truly "scientific" manor
would require months of analysis and ultimately not gain them better
ratings (although it would be interesting to most of us on this list).

I hope this gives a bit of insight behind the scenes. Now back to
lurking and working on my Trimix tests...

Regards,
Brian B.