Re: "Green Monster" Magnifier completed

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi Dan,
 >
 > I too would like to get the specs on the driver. Love the "green" wire.
 >
 > On similar note, last night I finished up my hybrid maggy. It was late, but
 > I did a quick test. Even with the driver wrapped in several layers of LDPE
 > (~0.25 inch altogether), I still got L1 to L2 arcing due to the coupling
 > set high (0.586). I shut it down immediately as not to cause a turn to turn
 > short. Today I'll raise the driver 3" which will put k at 0.389 and go from
 > there.

I wonder if adding layers of insulation is affective against primary
to secondary arcing. The insulation does not decrease the electric
field.
It can actually increase it. If properly placed, it can at most avoid
destructive arcs, if the arcs don't simply track over the insulation,
or (I have seen this) spread one end over the insulation, coupling
capacitively to the coil under it.

It's possible to make a magnifier driver with high coupling and good
insulation using a short, wide, secondary, and a flat primary.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz