Capacitor value not clear yet.

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

Thank you very much for the replies on the toroid size question.  I will
have to digest more of that after I tackle a two fold question that was
brought up as a result of your replies.

Question 1:
I was planning on 36" arcs based on the formula I found somewhere
[]
where k is a value taken from a chart based on secondary dia.  in my case
was .85.
1800 watts  (2 nst's 15KV 60mA ea. Totaling 1800 watts)

is this figure way off?
The formula given to me in the toroid replies was
spark length (inches) = 1.7*sqrt input power (wallplug watts)

Which is the correct formula to use for an approx.?
If I was going to drop to a single 15Kv 60Ma NST could I expect to generate
3 foot arcs?

Question 2:
I would like to keep the discussion on cap selection limited to NST's since
that's what I intend to use and to keep from getting too much info for my
tiny little brain all at once.

I understand the idea of resonant rise in the nst.  Or at least enough to
see what you mean.
The question is will the LTR cap (lower reactance) draw more current from
my NST? Say a 15 60.
I was under the impression they were current limited and no more than the
rated 60mA would be drawn.  Resonant rise plays a role in this?

Someone said that the current in the primary circuit can be in the hundreds
of amps?  If so where in the -at-#$-at-#-at-~! Does it come from?

Ok maybe I opened a can of worms but id like to know what is happening and
why the current can be so high and still not hurt the nst and where all
this high current comes from.

Thanx again

Luke Galyan
Bluu-at-cox-dot-net