Re: MOT current limiting shunts

Choose L so that the reactance (Xl = 2 * pi * f * L) is suitable to limit
the current.  You'll have to use the complex form of Ohm's law,  I = E /
(R+jX) >>
     I = E * (R-jX)/(R^2+X^2)

Actually, all you care about is the magnitude of I -> sqr(real^2 + imag^2)

And, in practice X is very much larger than R, so you can ignore R
Ilimit = E/X
X = E/Ilimit = (2*pi*f*L) >rearranging>> L = E/(Ilimit * 2 * pi *f)

Handy number to remember in 60Hz land -> 2*pi*60 = 377

AS to shunts...

An ideal transformer has two windings with the flux from one entirely
coupled to the other.  In a real transformer, not all the flux is coupled:
some of the flux goes through one winding only, called leakage flux.  The
equivalent circuit for such a real transformer is an inductor in series with
the winding of the ideal transformer.  If you want a transformer with some
inductance in series with the winding (i.e. ballast L), then you can
deliberately create more leakage flux by "shunting" the magnetic flux around
the winding.