Re: DISCHARGING BOTTLE CAPACITORS

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Ravi,

I use a "Gator Stick" made from 3' of a wooden broom handle.  At the tip I
drove a 3" nail into the end about 1" and about 1" out bent the nail 90
degrees.  I then cut the head off the nail, and rounded the sharp edges with
a file.  I then silver soldered a 8' length of 16ga lamp cord to it.  I then
secured the cable to the first 6" of the handle with electrical tape. On the
other end of the cable I attached a alligator clip, and it was done.  Attach
the clip to your ground, and touch each terminal of your capacitor with the
tip.  Do not touch the cable while discharging, and hold the stick in only
one hand and keep the other in your pocket.  One neat thing is using your
stick to draw a power arc from the topload when the coil is running.  You
can feel the arc vibrating the stick.  I'll send you a pic of me discharging
Dr. R's multiplier at Cheesehead. (that one could bite you real hard)

David E Weiss