Secondary size

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

I would assume that the height would be based on anticipated arc length and
the dia would simply fall into using what you can to stay in the suggested
height to width ratio.
How do you go about deciding how tall the coil should be based on the arc
length?
Other than aesthetics what is the method for choosing a secondary size?
What is the cut off for deciding how short a coil can be with a given
anticipated arc length?

It seems there are coils that generate longer arcs than the coil is
high.  And since the arcs are referenced to ground it seems that is putting
the top load very close to ground with respect to its output.  I know that
the toroid slash secondary top will be at the same positive or negative at
any one time as the arc and like charges repel so that is what keeps the
arcs from going straight down.

Ok also if a height is determined what are the advantages / disadvantages
for going with the larger diameter coil verses the smaller diameter?  Keep
in mind that when I say large or small diameter I am talking about staying
close to the excepted rule of thumb for height to dia. ratio.

Thanx

I will be asking lots more questions so bare with me.  J
Luke Galyan
Bluu-at-cox-dot-net