Re: SRSG or ARSG

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Hi Steve,

It's me, David, the guy you got the PDT and some MMC caps from ;^)
I noticed that you were talking about running >400 bps and using
smaller caps to save money. One thing that you should also consi-
der when taking this approach is that the caps will have to be
really rugged (be able to handle very high peak currents and the
very high break rates). That one Chicago Condenser cap that I
had that you saw had this problem. Although it was supposed to
be pulse rated, it was not rated for high bps (probably only 1 pps
or even less) so it was not suitable for coiling. I know because
I tried it before and it would get as hot as a firecracker within
a minute's time of firing in a 15/120 NST system. As a matter of
fact, I had another one just like it and I pushed it a little too
far. It swelled up like a balloon before it burst ;^( Anyway, the
GE MMCs that you got from me will indeed hold up to Tesla use and the
only bad thing about these caps is that I think GE discontinued
these. The Geek Group does carry the 942 series Cornell Dublier
2 kV at both .1 and .15 uFD for about $3 each I believe, though,
and these have been proven time and again by many of the list
members by imperical experience. Terry has also proven them by
analytical testing to be very suitable for Tesla use. Good luck
with your 10 kVA pole pig as it's really a hause!

David Rieben